The 44th Pillsbury Bake-Off® Contest is open for recipe entries and one creative home cook will win the $1 million grand prize.
- Entries are being accepted until April 20, 2009, at www.bakeoff.com and www.quericavida.com
- Contest finals will take place April 11 – 13, 2010, at the Waldorf-Astoria Orlando and Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek hotel in Florida
- One hundred talented finalists will compete side-by-side in 100 GE mini kitchens for cash and prizes totaling $1,050,200
- This contest marks the 60th anniversary of the Pillsbury Bake-Off® Contest
Each recipe must include at least two eligible ingredients, and they’re ingredients home cooks likely already know, like Pillsbury Refrigerated Biscuits, Crescent Dinner Rolls, Cinnamon Rolls, and Cookie Dough as well as Pillsbury Brownie Mixes, Green Giant® Frozen Vegetables, Smucker’s® Jams and Ice Cream Toppings, Eggland’s Best Eggs, LAND O LAKES® Stick Butter, Fisher® Nuts and more.
Some of the new eligible ingredients for this contest include Hershey®’s cocoa, baking chips or bits and baking chocolates, Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk, Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Recipe Creations™ flaky dough sheet and Pillsbury Refrigerated Thin Pizza Crust.
In addition to the million-dollar grand prize, home cooks can win category prizes, an award for the most innovative recipe and even two $5,000 prizes for the best recipes using Jif® Peanut Butter and Crisco® Cooking Oil. Some awards and prizes include GE appliances, too.
Tips for entering:
Check out these ideas for creating an original recipe:
- Create a contemporary version of a traditional recipe by streamlining preparation techniques or by substituting a convenience ingredient for several ingredients.
- For inspiration, browse your grocery store aisles or visit a new restaurant and order a dish you’ve never tried.
- Adapt a recipe for a different serving occasion, such as turning a main dish into an appetizer. Try adding a new flavor twist.
- Think about a recent vacation and take cues from the new foods and flavors you tried.
- Challenge yourself to whip up a new dish from foods that are already in your fridge and pantry.
- Once you have a good idea, ask yourself, “Does it look attractive? Will it appeal to the whole family? Would my friends ask me for this recipe?”
- As you test your recipe, ask yourself, “Does it taste good? Are the seasonings too spicy, too bland or just right? What can be done to make this taste even better? Does the texture complement the recipe?”
- Remind yourself what the judges are looking for: taste, appearance, creativity and consumer appeal, and ask, “Will my recipe stand out?”
Join last Bake-Off® Contest’s grand prize winner, Carolyn Gurtz, as she bakes her million-dollar Double-Delight Peanut Butter Cookies in her new prize-winning kitchen. Kim Anderson, Bake-Off® Kitchens Manager, also shares how to enter America’s premier cooking competition.
Carolyn Gurtz – Million-Dollar Winner of the 43rd Pillsbury Bake-Off® Contest
“Anyone who can cook should enter the contest. All it takes is one simple recipe idea and a little creativity.”
Kim Anderson - Pillsbury Bake-Off® Kitchens Manager
“We’re looking for original recipes that taste good, are easy to make and that families across the country will love.”
So get those recipes in - who knows, maybe YOU could be the next winner!