Authors, Monica Bearden and Shara Aaron, Registered Dietitians, Aerobic instructors and new moms themselves, offer tips on how to add “crunch” time to daily activities.
Ideas on ways to become more active include:
• Gym Memberships – Or Not…
- Brown bag it and use the money saved to pay for a gym membership. Working moms can exercise at lunch and forgo costly, calorie-laden take-out. For example, saving just $3.00 a day adds up to $90.00 a month – that’s enough for a gym membership with a little extra left over.
- Gather up your gal pals and get those strollers moving in your neighborhood or nearby park. Besides dropping inches you get the bonus of connecting with nature, your children and friends.
• Play With Your Children
- Freeze tag, hide and seek and jump rope are still cool – find your inner child and burn up to 100 calories in 10 minutes while playing with your kids.
- Show the kids some new moves and dance together to their favorite music - just half an hour of b-bopping can burn 185 calories.
In the book, The Baby Fat Diet by authors Monica Bearden and Shara Aaron, moms learn that small changes can make a big difference. Weight loss and good health doesn’t require a total makeover. Restrictive dieting and cutting out all favorite foods isn’t necessary. This book offers simple, easy-to-live-by health and nutrition tips that help women change the set behaviors that make losing weight so difficult. Committing to exercise and looking for activities and movement that work with life as a mom make for a happy, healthy family. Inside the book, moms will find information on ways to get up and get moving:
About the Authors:
Monica Bearden, R.D., is a food enthusiast who believes that healthy living should always include delighting the palate with a rich piece of chocolate. Monica is a registered dietitian and fitness instructor and has helped countless women lose weight . In addition, Monica is co-owner of NutCom, LLC, a nutrition communications company, where she assists major food companies in developing healthier food for the public, works with the media as a nutrition and wellness expert, and writes health- and nutrition-related educational materials on the food industry’s behalf. She is also co-author of the award winning book, Chocolate – A Healthy Passion and writes health-related articles for parenting magazines and for professional publications such as the Journal of the American Dietetic Association; the American Journal of Medicine and Sports; the American Chemical Society; Today’s Dietitian; and the ADA Sports, Cardiovascular and Wellness Nutrition newsletter. She graduated from the Coordinated Program in Dietetics at the University of Texas at Austin, where she was accepted into the Undergraduate Honors Research Program and was the recipient of a Research Fellowship and the Outstanding Nutrition Scholar award. Bearden lives in Tomball TX.
Shara Aaron, M.S., R.D., lives what she preaches: eating a balanced diet and exercising regularly can help you get the most out of life. She began her career as nutrition and health editor for Family Circle magazine. She was also a manager of nutrition communications at a major food company, where she served, among other things, as a company nutrition media spokesperson. She is now the co-owner of NutCom, LLC, a nutrition communications consulting company, and continues to privately counsel patients on weight loss and teach fitness classes as a certified aerobics instructor. Shara is co-author of the award winning book, Chocolate – A Healthy Passion, has published articles in Family Circle, Parents, and American Baby magazines. She earned her BA from the University of Pennsylvania and her MS in nutrition communications from the Friedman School of Nutrition at Tufts University. She completed her dietetic education at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. Aaron lives in Yardley PA.
We have one copy of this book to give away to one lucky reader!
There are several ways to enter - here are the rules:
Please note: Your email address MUST either be in your comment or available on your blogger profile or your entry will NOT count!! **
* Leave us a comment on any post here at Pink Lemonade (be sure to comment on this post & let us know where you commented).
* Become a follower on Twitter. Leave me a comment to let me know your twitter name (if you are already a follower, leave me a comment with your twitter name).
* Become a fan on our new Facebook page. Leave me a comment to let me know your Facebook name.
* Subscribe to our RSS Feed or sign up to receive Pink Lemonade by Email. Leave me a comment to let me know you. If you are already a subscriber, leave me a comment and let me know.
* Blog about our contest on your blog. Leave me a comment with your post url.
* Place our widget on your blog (it's toward the bottom of this page in the far right column - just click "get widget" at the bottom of the widget [under the heading "Grab our Widget"]). Leave me a comment with your site url.
There you have it! Six very simple ways to enter our contest - how easy is that? Complete rules can be found on our Contest page.
This contest ends Tuesday, April 28th at 11:59pm (pdst) so don't wait - make sure you've gotten all six entries before it's too late! Please note: entries received after the cutoff time will be deleted prior to drawing a winner.
Posted by Liz of Pink Lemonade
Featured Weekly on Posh Mama Online Magazine