This Summer, instead of over scheduling the kids, relax with them, play with them... you just might have a really fun summer yourself! Here are some ideas...
- Is your home full of clutter? Are you trying to get the kids to control their own clutter? Check out Camp Gonna Wanna Fly Now, courtesy of Flylady. Flylady will lead you through the whole process of setting up a "camp" for your kids - only this camp won't teach them to make macrame plant hangers - this camp will teach them to help out around the house while they have a blast, and who couldn't use a little more of that?
- Befriend a Firefighter - Bake them cookies (or pick up some Popsicles), and deliver them to your local fire station. The firefighters will truly appreciate the surprise... your child will meet some heroes, and learn about giving to others.
- Make a rocket with a soda bottle and baking soda - find out how at Wiki How.
- Go on a picnic with your kids at a local park or beach,or even the backyard!
- Check out Free Tours (such as factory tours) in your area (my kids love going to the jelly belly factory!)
- Be entertained. Many libraries offer free story times, puppet shows and events during the summer - they're usually free - so check them out.
- Make a scrapbook of everything you do this summer - include your kids drawings along with snapshots and things collected. It will be a great conversation starter when they return to school.
- Check out your local visitors center. There are probably lots of things to do for little or no money that your kids will love (and maybe they'll learn something new too!)
- Teach them to sit down and write a letter - this is becoming a lost art with email and text messaging, but wouldn't a Grandparent or faraway Aunt love to receive a handwritten letter from your child?
- Start a postcard collection from everywhere you visit. If you can't find a postcard at a particular destination, snap a picture that best represents the place and when you get home, your child can design their own postcard with the photograph.
Posted by Liz of Pink Lemonade