Friday, December 5, 2014

Local Docs Warn Residents About "Christmas Tree Syndrome"

More than one third of all American households will put up a Christmas tree in their homes this holiday season and a lot of that action will take place this weekend during the Thanksgiving holiday. If families find themselves sneezing with a runny nose and itchy eyes once their tree is up, they just might be allergic to the tree! Yes, even those fake trees can spark allergies!
Physicians at AFC/Doctors Express urgent care are trying to raise awareness about what’s called Christmas Tree Syndrome” so people don’t confuse their symptoms with a common cold and can properly prepare for this holiday tradition.
Respiratory illnesses peak around Christmas, according to research published in the Annals of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. People can have an allergic reaction to either the smell of live trees from the pine resin or the various molds found in live trees.Within just two weeks of bringing a live tree into a home, mold counts can significantly increase. In fact, researchers at State University of New York found that 70 percent of the molds found in live Christmas trees can trigger severe asthma attacks, fatigue, sinus congestion and more. Before this study in 2011, it was thought the the allergies were sparked by tree pollen and weed killer applied to trees.

How to limit your exposure to Christmas tree allergens and how to avoid putting up a “danger tree.”
Tips to Avoid “Christmas Tree Syndrome”:
(sources: American Christmas Tree Association and Prevention)
  • For live trees:
    • Live trees naturally carry microscopic mold spores that can trigger allergy symptoms. Allergic reactions can happen instantly or within the first two weeks of putting up a live tree
    • Tree sap contains terpene and other substances that can irritate skin and mucous membranes
    • Wear gloves and long sleeves when bringing the tree indoors to avoid sap touching your skin
    • Spray off the tree and its branches with water before bringing it into your house to help remove some of the pollen and mold (before this, you can also give it a good shake or a blast with a leaf blower)
      • Sit the tree stump in a bucket of water and let it dry outside for a few days to prevent mold from growing
    • Families with severe allergies should avoid purchasing a live tree
      • However, if they just can’t resist this holiday tradition, families should only have the live tree in their home for no more than seven days
  • For artificial trees:
    • Store them properly – wrap the tree securely, store in a cool and dry place, and avoid storing in places that accumulate dust and dirt
    • Wipe down the tree before putting it up in your home
    • Wipe down your ornaments too
    • Some of the materials used to make artificial trees can cause sinus irritation
    • Go easy on the spray snow to frost your windows - any aerosolized chemical can cause irritant reactions in the eyes, nose or lungs  

Tips to Avoid a “Danger Tree”:
Each holiday, around 230 home fires start with Christmas trees. These fires cause an average of six deaths, 22 injuries and $18.3 million in direct property damage.
  • Make sure live trees are fresh (deep green, not brown); trunk should be sticky and wet with resin
  • Make sure a large number of needles don’t come loose when you tap the tree trunk on the ground
  • Artificial trees should have a “fire resistant” label
  • Keep all trees away from heat sources like fireplaces and candles
  • Use lights tested for safety by nationally recognized testing labs
  • Do not burn wrapping paper in the fireplace. It could cause a flash fire


No comments: