With more and more companies listening to consumers and finding ways to make their products with simpler ingredients while still maintaining a great, family-pleasing taste, you can find prepared food in the frozen section that you can feel good about serving to your family. And one of the simplest, healthier proteins that is found in the freezer aisle is seafood.
Fresh from the sea and available in several varieties - including fish sticks, fillets and shrimp as well as a range of styles, such as breaded, battered, sauced or grilled - there are frozen options for every taste, lifestyle and occasion. Seafood not only cooks quickly compared to other proteins, but numerous health agencies recommend eating seafood at least twice a week due to its health benefits. Seafood contains natural omega-3 fatty acids, lean protein and critical vitamins and minerals that can aid brain development, promote heart health, help fight obesity and improve overall health.
These health benefits, combined with the convenience and simple goodness of prepared seafood products, such as Gorton's Seafood, make it easy to serve a better-for-you meal for the family in no time at all. Gorton's also listened to consumers and made its ingredients even simpler and ingredient labels easier to read and understand.
"Delicious, quality seafood isn't just about the seafood," said Mary Beth Gangloff, who is leading the simplification charge at Gorton's. "This effort is about doing everything we can possibly do to ensure that nothing gets in the way of our real, authentic ingredients and great taste. Our goal is to ensure that the goodness of our seafood reaches our consumers in every single bite."
Cooking with seafood also lets you keep other ingredients simple, so you can let the distinct flavor of the seafood be the star. Keep it simple and pair seafood with a salad or easy side dish, or check out one of these family-friendly recipes that require just five ingredients and less than 30 minutes to prepare and cook.
Find more simple, time-saving recipes your busy family will love at gortons.com.
Fish Stick Taco
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 24 Gorton's Classic Breaded Fish Sticks
- 12 hard taco shells
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups salsa
- 3 cups lettuce, shredded
- Prepare fish sticks according to package instructions. Place two cooked fish sticks in each taco shell followed by 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 cup salsa and 1/4 cup lettuce. Serve immediately.
Honey Mustard Beer Batter Fillet Sandwich
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 10 Gorton's Beer Batter Fillets
- 1/2 cup honey mustard
- 5 sandwich rolls, sliced
- 5 lettuce leaves
- 10 slices of tomato
- Prepare fillets according to package instructions.
- Spread half of mustard onto bottoms of sandwich rolls and top with lettuce leaf. Spread remaining mustard on cooked fillets and place two cooked fillets on each roll.
- Place two slices of tomato on each sandwich. Top with remaining half of roll and serve immediately.
SOURCE: Gorton's Seafood