Heart-Shaped Blinis with Smoked Salmon and Lemon Caper
Ultra-creamy sour cream mixed with capers and zesty lemon adds the perfect touch to these savory appetizer bites. Got some gluten-free guests? Simply substitute your favorite gluten-free all-purpose baking flour blend and one teaspoon xanthan gum for the all-purpose flour or use gluten free Buckwheat.
Makes about 36 heart-shaped blini (3 per serving)
1 tsp. active dry yeast
1/2 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. warm water (110°F to 115°F)
1 cup warm soy, rice or dairy milk (110°F to 115°F)
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup Redwood Hill Farm Plain Kefir
2 Tbs. melted butter or Earth Balance Buttery Spread, plus 1/4 cup for cooking
2 large eggs, separated
Lemon Caper Sour Cream
1 (12-oz) container Green Valley Organics Sour Cream
1 clove garlic, pressed or finely minced (1 tsp.)
3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs. fresh lemon zest
2 Tbs. chopped fresh dill, plus more for garnish
2 Tbs. finely chopped red onion
1/4 cup capers, chopped, plus more for garnish
Salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1/2 lb. thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into 36 bite-size pieces
1. Stir together yeast, sugar and water in a large bowl to dissolve. Stir in milk and let stand 5 to 7
minutes, until frothy.
2. Sift flours and salt into a separate bowl. Whisk in yeast mixture, then whisk in Redwood Hill Farm
Plain Kefir, melted butter and egg yolks. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, set in a warm
place and allow to rise for one hour.
3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise 30
minutes longer. The batter should be bubbly.
4. While the batter rises, whisk together sour cream, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, dill, onion and
capers in a small bowl. Adjust seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate
until ready to use.
5. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Place batter in a squeeze bottle using a funnel. Add a tablespoon
of melted buttery spread and swirl the pan to coat evenly.
6. Squeeze the batter into the outline of a heart and fill in the heart outline with batter. Cook about 1
to 2 minutes, until bubbles appear, flip and cook 30 seconds longer.
7. Place cooked blini on a parchment-lined baking sheet and keep warm in a 200°F oven until ready
to serve. Serve topped with smoked salmon and a dollop of Lemon Caper Sour Cream.
Chef’s Make-Ahead Tip:
To freeze blini, place parchment paper between each blini, wrap in plastic wrap and foil. To reheat,
arrange blini on a parchment-lined baking sheet and warm in a 300°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
Sour Cream Chocolate Cake with Cherry Vanilla Yogurt Sauce
Rich, chocolaty and decidedly decadent, our no-fail sour cream chocolate cake is oh-so-moist and lactose free (thanks to our silky sour cream) and begs for a fork when topped with sweet-n-tangy cherry vanilla yogurt sauce. Share a heart-shaped cake with your sweetheart for the perfect way to say "I love you" on Valentine's Day. Going gluten free? Simply substitute your favorite gluten-free all-purpose baking mix and one teaspoon xanthan gum for the all-purpose flour.
Makes one bundt cake or 8 heart-shaped cakes (using 1/2-cup batter for each cake)
1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cup sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup butter or non-hydrogenated butter alternative (like Earth Balance), softened
2 cups Green Valley Organics Sour Cream
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
Chocolate Frosting Glaze
3 Tbs. butter or non-hydrogenated butter alternative (like Earth Balance)
2 Tbs. cocoa powder
3 Tbs. lactose free milk or soymilk
1 cup confectioners/powdered sugar
1 tsp. almond extract
Cherry Vanilla Yogurt Sauce
2 (6 oz.) containers Vanilla or Wildflower Honey Redwood Hill Farm Yogurt
1 vanilla bean, scraped
1 cup chopped dark cherries (frozen and thawed is fine)
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, combine butter, sour cream and eggs, beating with a hand or stand
mixer until smooth.
4. Mix wet and dry ingredients together, and beat with a hand or stand mixer for 3 minutes.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 50 to 55 minutes, until a wooden skewer inserted
into the cake comes out clean. Cool before removing from pan.
5. While cake cools, melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cocoa and milk
until smooth. Remove from heat, add confectioners sugar and almond extract and beat
using a stand or hand mixer until silky smooth. Drizzle over top of cooled cake. Allow to set
To make the Cherry Vanilla Yogurt Sauce, whisk together yogurt, vanilla bean paste, cherries
and almond extract. Refrigerate until needed.
Slice the vanilla bean horizontally down the middle. Using a paring knife, scrape out the vanilla
bean seeds from inside the sliced pods. Instead of discarding the used vanilla bean pods, tuck
them into a cup or two of granulated sugar in a covered container. Allow to sit for a week or so
and enjoy vanilla-scented sugar in coffee, hot chocolate, baked goods, sprinkled over sugar
cookies, and more.
You'll find more great recipes online at http://www.redwoodhill.com/