Tartine toppings have become more imaginative these days, running the gamut from melted Gruyere cheese and prosciutto to ricotta and fresh fruit, even a sunny-side-up egg with a sprinkle of Parmesan and chives. That’s the fun of these trendy, tasty sandwiches, which can also double as appetizers: you can customize them however you like, using your favorite ingredients.
To get started, try this easy Beet, Shrimp and Avocado Tartine recipe. It is a perfect lunch for one with no cooking involved except for the toaster. Creamy garlic-avocado mash is spread on rustic whole grain toasts then topped with sweet, tangy beets and cooked shrimp. Voila. It’s on the table in about 10 minutes. Individual serving cups of Aunt Nellie’s Diced Pickled Beets are ready to use and one cup provides just the right amount of beets for the recipe. No peeling, chopping or measuring required.
These sandwiches are colorful and appetizing on the plate and satisfying to eat. For additional recipes and serving ideas for Aunt Nellie’s single-serve beets and other jarred vegetables, visit AuntNellies.com.
Beet, Shrimp and Avocado TartineServes 1
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 1 single-serve cup Aunt Nellie’s Diced Pickled Beets
- 1/2 medium avocado
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 oval slices whole wheat or whole grain bread (approximately 1/2-by-4-inch slice), toasted
- 4-6 cooked small to medium shrimp
- shredded basil
- Drain beet cup.
- Coarsely mash avocado with garlic. Spread onto one side of each toast slice. Top each with equal amounts of diced beets, shrimp and shredded basil, as desired.
Notes, Tips and Suggestions
• For vegetarian tartine, omit shrimp. • Top with crumbled blue cheese, goat cheese, feta, queso fresco or other favorites. • Top with toasted walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts.
SOURCE: Aunt Nellies