Thursday, June 2, 2016
5 Sun-Proof, Beach-Friendly Snacks
1. Nuts- Crunchy and delicious, nuts provide omega-3 fatty acids that are heart healthy and are also rich in healthy monounsaturated an polyunsaturated fats. Bring a baggie with a two tablespoon portion of almonds, cashews or walnuts.
2. Fresh Fruit – Washed thoroughly and packed so as not to get smashed, fresh fruits provide valuable nutrients such as vitamin C and potassium. Zied suggests the most portable fruits include: oranges, apples, and bananas or liven it up with grapefruit slices, clementines, seedless grapes or strawberries.
3. Dried fruit- Look for “no sugar added” when picking out dried fruits and limit portion to two tablespoons. Although not as fiber-rich as fruit, dried fruit is nonperishable and great to mix with crunchy high fiber cereal like low fat granola or nuts (choose the kind you like, but stick to two tablespoons).
4. Veggies – Options like edamame, celery, carrot, pepper strips are durable in packed beach bags. They also provide much needed nutrients while in the heat such as vitamin C, potassium, and Iron.
5. Grains - Whole grain crackers are great treats with lots of crunch and flavor. Pack natural peanut butter or almond butter and no-sugar jelly to put on crackers or whole grain bread. The protein and whole grains are nonperishable and will keep beach goers sated.
All fruits and vegetables should be washed prior to use. When possible, items should be packed on ice to keep food safe and bacteria at bay.