"Celebrate the flavors of summer with Easy Fruity Shaved Ice," said Mary Beth Harrington of the McCormick Kitchens. "The secret is in the flavorful syrups, which come together in just a few minutes with less than five ingredients, including fruit extracts and food colors."
Add raspberry, orange or strawberry extract to a simple syrup and mix in a few drops of vibrant food color to create this classic frozen treat. But don't stop there. Bring the family together and let their imaginations run wild as they create their own personalized color and flavor combinations. Here are a few tips from the McCormick Kitchens to get you started:
- Make It Snow At Home: If you don't have a shaved ice maker, crush ice to a snowy texture in your blender or by wrapping a plastic bag of ice in a kitchen towel and smashing it with a rolling pin or mallet. This can be a fun project for kids so long as they have adult supervision.
- Mix and Match: Store syrups in small squeeze bottles and mix and match flavors in each shaved ice. Create layers of color and flavor in the ice, and then gobble them up before the creation melts. You'll have a different summer treat every time!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
Blue Raspberry Syrup:
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Raspberry Extract
- 10 drops Blue McCormick® Assorted Food Colors & Egg Dye
Strawberry Cotton Candy Syrup:
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Imitation Strawberry Extract
- 10 drops McCormick® Red Food Color
Crushed Orange Syrup:
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Orange Extract
- 8 drops McCormick® Yellow Food Color
- 2 drops McCormick® Red Food Color
Lemon Blast Syrup:
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Lemon Extract
- 10 drops McCormick® Yellow Food Color
- BRING sugar and water to boil in small saucepan on medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. For desired flavor syrup, stir in extract and food color.
- COOL to room temperature. Pour into squeeze bottle for easier serving. Pour syrup over shaved ice.
ServesMakes 2 cups syrup