The summer boasts a wealth of fresh fruit to draw inspiration from - especially everyone's favorite - watermelon. Its cool, juicy flavor speaks to your senses. Plus, it's packed with key vitamins and minerals, so it's a snack you can feel good about serving to your family.
Fabulously Fresh IdeasKick off this fun-in-the-sun season and make memories with fresh ideas that get the whole family involved. Create a splash at your next barbecue or summer party with this adorable Mermaid Tail. Fashioned from watermelon rinds, your family will love to help you create this masterpiece as well as devour it. Need to perk up lunch? Your family will love mixing and matching their own flavor combinations with Watermelon Sandwich Wraps. These healthy, edible creations are sure to bring about many smiles.
You can find more sweet summertime recipes and ideas at www.watermelon.org.
Breakfast Push Pops
- Diced watermelon chunks
- Yogurt of choice
- Push pop molds, sold at most restaurant supply stores
- Layer watermelon, yogurt and granola into molds and top with yogurt and watermelon chunks. Freeze push pop molds and enjoy.
Watermelon Strawberry Mint Salsa
- 1 cup diced watermelon (seeds removed)
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons diced seeded jalapeno chile
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional, to taste)
- Gently stir together all ingredients in bowl. Let stand to blend flavors, about 1 hour. For a dynamite combination, serve salsa with Caribbean or jerk seasoned grilled items, or with pretzels.
Watermelon Sandwich Wraps
- Tortillas: Wheat, flour, corn, spinach or sun-dried tomato
- Spreads: Chive cream cheese, hummus, guacamole, Greek yogurt
- Meats: Turkey, ham, chicken breast, roast beef or pepperoni
- Sauces (marinades and salad dressings): BBQ, ranch, pesto, Thai peanut sauce, teriyaki, ginger
- Cheeses: Feta, pepper Jack, mozzarella
- Veggies and other toppings: Watercress, olives, scallions, cilantro, romaine, jalapenos, fresh mint, basil, shredded carrots, spinach, sprouts and cucumber slices
- 1 watermelon spear: about 1/2 inch thick, 1 inch wide and as long as your tortilla
- Create your own combination or try one of these. Start with a spread to help stick other fillings together. Place toppings in center of tortilla with the watermelon spear on top. Roll tortilla over watermelon spear, tucking in all ingredients. Fasten with toothpick if needed.
- English Tea Sandwich Wrap: Flour tortilla, chive cream cheese, ham, watermelon, watercress
- Greek Wrap: Spinach tortilla, plain Greek yogurt, feta cheese, watermelon, black olives
- Latin Watermelon Wrap: Flour tortilla, ham, watermelon, cilantro, guacamole, scallions, pepper Jack cheese, jalapeno
- Southwest Chicken Wrap: Corn or flour tortilla, guacamole, pepper Jack cheese, spicy chicken, romaine lettuce, watermelon, bacon ranch dressing, salsa
- Watermelon Caprese Wrap: Flour tortilla, pepperoni, watermelon, mozzarella, basil, pesto sauce
- Thai Peanut Chicken Wrap: Wheat tortilla, roasted chicken, Bibb lettuce, Thai peanut sauce, carrots, watermelon, cilantro
- Southwest Veggie Wrap: Spinach tortilla, cucumber, watermelon, cilantro, Swiss cheese, BBQ ranch dressing, guacamole
- Mid Eastern Veggie Wrap: Wheat tortilla, hummus with pine nuts, mint, thin cucumber slices, watermelon
- Ginger Chicken Wrap: Wheat tortilla, teriyaki ginger sauce, chicken, sprouts, watermelon, sweet chili and ginger, Bibb lettuce
- Hawaiian Wrap: Spinach tortilla, pineapple cream cheese, sweet chile with ginger, ham, watermelon
- Cutting board
- 1 large oblong seeded or seedless watermelon
- Kitchen knife and paring knife
- Large bowl and spoon or scoop
- Green dry erase marker
- Channel knife
- Dowels and toothpicks
- Optional decorations (found at any craft store): Edible turquoise shimmer powder/disco dust, mermaid cookie cutters, light blue or turquoise fabric or mermaid decorations.
- Wash watermelon under cool running water and pat dry.
- On cutting board, place watermelon on its side and cut off 4 inches from one end of watermelon to provide a sturdy base. Cut remaining watermelon in half lengthwise.
- Hollow out both halves of the watermelon with spoon or scoop, reserving watermelon pieces to dice up for serving or cutting out mermaid shapes.
- Use dry erase marker to trace mermaid tail freehand lengthwise across one entire half. With knife of your choice, carefully trim away to form the outline of mermaid tail. Use the channel knife to form scales and details.
- For added detail, brush on edible turquoise shimmer powder/disco dust (purchased at cake decorating store or craft store).
- Use pencil-sized dowels to secure the mermaid tail to top of base. Decorate with watermelon cubes or mermaid watermelon cutouts and serve.