Whether the weeknight dinner rush puts you in a panic or you’re simply looking to spice up the same old lunchbox staples, these three steps will make it easy to assemble quick, flavorful dishes ideal for the busy back-to-school season.
- Plan a weekly menu and shop accordingly so you can avoid scrounging to piece together a meal from the odds and ends in the pantry on a night when you’re already pressed for time. Meal planning eliminates all of the guesswork, so your family can enjoy healthy, home-cooked meals while also saving time, money and stress.
- Rely on a versatile, easy meal-helper that lends itself to a variety of preparations, such as Smithfield Marinated Fresh Pork. Packed with protein and already seasoned with juicy, delicious flavor, it’s the perfect base for any weeknight meal. For a hassle-free dinner, try Pork with Balsamic Glaze and Rosemary, which is ready in just 30 minutes from start to finish – less time than it takes the kids to finish their homework.
- Opt for simple, flavorful dishes that don’t require a ton of ingredients or multiple sides. A zesty take on a traditional favorite, this South of the Border Pizza is convenient, kid-friendly and a great way to banish lunchtime boredom. Use this recipe as a starting point then experiment with more toppings to create your own unique family recipe.
Pork with Balsamic Glaze and RosemaryPrep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Smithfield Applewood Smoked Bacon Marinated Fresh Pork Loin Filet, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch thick chops
- 1/4 cup prepared balsamic vinegar glaze
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- In large, nonstick skillet, heat half the oil over medium heat.
- Working in two batches, cook pork chops 4-5 minutes on each side until internal temperature reaches 150°F. Remove pork from skillet and place on rimmed serving platter; cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining oil and pork chops.
- Serve pork chops drizzled with balsamic glaze and sprinkled with rosemary.
South of the Border PizzaPrep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 French bread sandwich rolls, halved
- 8 tablespoons refried black beans
- 8 tablespoons (2 ounces) Smithfield Anytime Favorites Hickory Smoked Diced Ham
- 8 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 tablespoons picante sauce
- 4 tablespoons low-fat sour cream
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Place four French bread halves on ungreased sheet pan. Spread 2 tablespoons beans evenly over each bread half.
- Top each half with 2 tablespoons ham and two cheese slices.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Remove from oven; top each pizza with 1 tablespoon picante sauce and 1 tablespoon sour cream.